Up to 60% of the human adult body is water. Like blood vessels, human lymphatic systems are networks of vessels, ducts, nodes, and organs that circulate lymph fluid throughout the body as it nourishes and detoxifies cells. In many cases, stagnant lymph causes accumulation of toxins that cause low energy levels, fatigue, mood swings, and lowered immunity which can lead to disease conditions if left unchecked.
Lymphatic Drainage is a form of massage in which the therapist manually moves lymph through vessels to assist the client’s own process of moving stagnant lymph fluid. Lymph drainage is a powerful method of detoxification that causes a significant improvement in the function of the immune system.
Most Common Reasons for Compromised Lymphatic Flow
- Lack of Exercise – humans needs muscle contractions – exercise – to move lymph fluid throughout the body
- Poor Diet Choices – increase congestion and produce excess waste for the lymphatic system
- Compromised Quality of Air, Water, Food – cause accumulations of carcinogens and metabolic waste products of pollution, pesticides, chemicals and preservatives in cleaning/grooming products and all forms of environmental exposure
- Surgery and Trauma
Benefits of Lymphatic Drainage Therapy
Every cell and tissue in the body is dependent on a healthy lymphatic system: No matter the purpose of the cells, they all need nutrients and waste removal. Manual therapy may help to:
- Reduce swelling and inflammation after injury and surgery
- Reduce arthritis symptoms
- Improves digestion/sluggish elimination
- Reduce lymphedema after a mastectomy
- Diminish headaches and migraines
- Detoxification from medications, drugs, chronic congestion