Everyone benefits from human touch. Elders living with chronic disease, disability, and the effects of aging can especially enjoy positive effects of skilled therapeutic touch.
Bodywork (massage therapy) is a non-pharmacological complementary treatment. Bodywork improves the overall quality of emotional, social, and physical well-being. Possible benefits of bodywork for elders can be:
- improvement of blood and lymph circulation throughout the body.
- reduction of muscle aches, tension, and pressure on nerves
- pain reduction
- physical and mental relaxation
- increased range of motion for elders who are experiencing loss mobility and flexibility
- one-one contact, nurturance, and comfort through therapeutic touch